Today Cara, our Team Slender junior, is here to share a side dish recipe that’ll have you questioning all of your foundational food beliefs– Are vegetables boring or awesome? Can I bread something other than chicken? I don’t have to fry my food to make it hot and crispy and sexy and delicious? Team Slender, blowin’ ya mind.
Oh, and after you get your on head straight, be sure to come back tomorrow for a cilantro ranch dressing recipe that’s perfect for dippin’ these fries into.
Zucchini Oven Fries
Makes: 4-6 servings | Calories per serving: 85
Fat: 3.5 g (Sat Fat: 1.0 g) | Carbohydrate: 9.0 g | Fiber: 2.0 g| Protein: 5.0 g
2 (12 oz.) zucchini, cut into 3-inch sticks
1/2 C panko bread crumbs
1/4 C shredded Parmesan
1/8 t ground cumin
1/2 t garlic powder
1 t dried oregano
1/4 t paprika
1 t kosher salt
2 t olive oil
2 egg whites
1. Preheat your oven to 450°
2. In a bowl, mix together panko bread crumbs, Parmesan, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, paprika and salt.
3. Add olive oil and mix with fingertips until well combined
4. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until frothy. Toss in zucchini sticks and coat with egg whites.
5. Transfer sticks to bread crumb mixture, press crumbs onto zucchini and place on a baking sheet.
6. Bake until golden and just tender, about 12 min. Serve immediately as an appetizer with marinara dipping sauce, tomorrow’s dressing recipe, or serve with an all-star burger!