Mixed Berry Protein Granola Bars
Makes: 12 bars | Serving size: 1 bar | Calories per serving: 190
Fat: 8.3 g (Sat Fat: 3.1 g) | Carbohydrate: 26.0 g | Fiber: 2.8 g| Protein: 7.3 g
1 C dry instant oats
1/3 C raw almonds, chopped
3 scoops vanilla protein powder (about 6 tablespoons or 60 grams; I use 365 brand from Whole Foods)
1/4 C reduced sugar Craisins
1/4 C dried blueberries
1/2 C unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 C sunflower seeds
1 T flaxseed
1 T vegetable oil
1 T unsweetened applesauce
1/4 C honey
1/4 C brown sugar
PAM nonstick spray
1. Preheat your oven to 400°. Spread your oats and chopped almonds on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven for 7-10 minutes, stirring halfway through. Reduce your oven to 325° after the toasting process.
2. Meanwhile, coat a 9″ x 9″ square baking dish with PAM. Lay a sheet of parchment in the bottom with some overhang on the sides and coat that with PAM as well. This will help you lift the bars out of the baking dish later.
3. Once the oats have cooled, add them to a large bowl that’s been coated with PAM and combine with the dried berries, coconut, sunflower seeds, flaxseed, and protein powder. Stir to mix well.
4. In a microwave safe bowl, mix your vegetable oil, applesauce, honey, and brown sugar. Stir well and microwave for 30 seconds at a time until the brown sugar has completely dissolved.
5. Add the sugar mix to the oat mix and stir until all of the oats are coated. Transfer the granola to the baking dish and press it evenly to compact the ingredients. Bake for 10 minutes at 325°, rotate the dish, and then bake for 15 more minutes. The granola should be golden brown when it’s done.
6. After letting the granola cool slightly, remove it from the dish using the parchment to lift it out and cut into 12 even bars.
recipe adapted from bonappetit